Saturday 17 January 2009

Placement begins

Well Uni kicked off the second week, the generic lesson being on progression and continuity the afternoon devoted to subject knowledge. The afternoons are so frustrating, so much to do but the Lecturer seems to do so little. What do I know?
Tuesday brought the first day at my second placement, according to the league tables its bottom within the Local Authority for its A*-C ratings and yeah has well above average for free school meals but I actually found it to be great. Both mentors seem like cracking people, the training seems well planned and structured, the discipline I saw in lesson seemed fine.
Early days I realise but I have a real sense of optimism about this placement, just like something feels right.....we'll review that statement in the weeks to come!
Friday was one of those, should I stay in bed or go to Uni type of days. Well 6.30 saw me leaving night shift and 7.30 had me at McD's for breakfast and the day didn't get much better after that. Of the tasks set in Monday's lecture three groups managed to complete them, 50% of people elected to stay in bed and whilst it is good to catch up with Uni mates it isn't half boring to have to sit through the lecture to do that. Idle, or maybe not, threats by the Lecturer about letters of non attendance going in to files...blah blah blah same old crap. Now I'm sure we've been here before but to me the way to get good attendance is to make your lesson enjoyable to be in, to make people leave thinking, yeah I learnt something there, really enjoyed that etc. Or you could stick a note in their file or not give them such a good reference as an attendee, makes you think. Three years on, you've shelled out nearly £10k on course fees and the lecturer gives you a bland reference cause you didn't attend his crap lectures.....who wins in that scenario. Still at least they had the last laugh, made the difference between you getting that job you really needed...never know might even get your house repossessed, or take a leap of a big bridge, yeah you really showed tham who's the daddy...it makes me proud to know you.
Talking about employment, the job hunting season will soon be upon me....admit to being slightly apprehensive because way more people than jobs will qualify. Funnily my mentor at School raised this point with the University, why they insist on producing more graduates than jobs will exist in the area. Apparently the University take their lead from the Government on numbers, which is crap speak for we are gonna cram as many people in as possible cause its money for us. So what if they don't get a job, not our problem, we've had our dosh....two fingers pal.
As I'm building up to a rant I may as well mention that the I paid a visit to the Placement Office about my lack of post 16 training, their advice...sort it out yourself with the School its easier than them actually getting off their arse, not like its their job or anything. I actually have to remind myself that I actually pay for this shambles, customer service, value for money....not in a University...heads down arse up seems to be the way they do things here. So I need to find 3 full days of post 16 teaching, I have no contacts in this field, the School I'm at can't really assist and the bloke at the Uni paid to arrange my placement thinks it would be better for me than him to ring colleges. Is it me??? Maybe I should put an ad in the TES.......

Student Seeks Post 16 Teaching Experience

6 half days needed

Must fit in with current teaching timetable

If you can accomodate more than 1 Student

Ring the Bloke with the fat arse at the University of Contempt



Oh roll on Monday........sausage & egg with a cup of tea......2 sugars please! Keep Aa'had

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home